Sunday, August 3, 2014

Learning What People Think of My Book on Amazon

By Nancy Bilyeau

It can be tricky writing novels for a mass readership.

Many of us try our best to produce work on a high level. Through multiple drafts we labor on character development,dialogue and setting description, all set to a plot that aims to compel and enthrall. Any historical novel, mystery or no, requires extensive research. And for a significant number of writers, there is also a theme in the work, a message, perhaps even characters, that carry personal meaning.


Yet if you are writing a book for a commercial purpose, you have to send it out there and know that there is no possible way it will be universally adored. Writers are sensitive creatures who must grow the thickest skin possible once the book is for sale.

Our reaction to reviews on amazon and goodreads is the litmus test.

While there are a few readers reviews that made me wince or grumble, I am honestly grateful for the experience of learning what people think. Taking some slaps on amazon is preferable to the alternative—refusing to read any reviews and growing ossified, determined not to listen to any criticism.

And so as my first novel, The Crown, receives its 231st review on amazon, I want to say thank you to the readers who've taken the time to do this--think of a response, write it, and upload it. My page here.

The latest review is one of my best since the book was published by Touchstone (S&S) in January 2012, and I'm grateful!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crown, August 1, 2014
This review is from: The Crown: A Novel (Paperback)
 The Crown by author Nancy Bilyeau literally took my breath away as a piece of literary brilliance.  I am not huge on historical fiction books that also fit into the genre of thrillers and or mysteries; I usually prefer historical fiction novels that are more centered around the person and their life,  the period in which they lived,  with a little romance popped in.  With this book my forgone conclusion about what I prefer went out the window.

The novel takes the reader into the world and times of King Henry the eighth and some of the events that lead to a young novice named Joanna and her struggle to fight for the preservation of her way of life as a young postulate nun living under the rules of enclosure; Joanna must do this under blackmail from a Bishop who uses her Father as leeway holding him hostage until Joanna finds an artifact that the bishop believes will change the course of actions that are ripping what he considers to be England's true faith into pieces.

Every detail and conversation  between characters was written beautifully and made me feel as if I was there with this young nun;  The scenery was described beautifully and the characters development through out the book made me relate with the characters and literally made this book an addiction as I got deeper into each chapter.   I'd recommend this book highly to anyone who likes historical fiction; Especially Tudor Era genres. 


To people like "butterflywriter," I want to say--keep reading! Not just my novels, but as many as you have time for, and keep sharing...








5 comments:

  1. Well, it's nice you're getting reviews.

    There are thousands of us out here who don't get any!

    ReplyDelete
  2. URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX  BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE NOW CONTACT DR.DAVID ON  WHATSAPP  DIRECTLY +2347040654140 .

     My name is MICHEAL RACHEL. When I read a testimony online on how DR DAVID the great and most powerful spell caster helped to bring back Divorce husband or wife EX LOVER. I was wondering how this can be true, Because many have failed me in the past without any result from them. I just let the post pass by and move on to the forum. To my notice under again, Some person posted and said tested and trusted spell caster. After reading through the mail it was this same man DR DAVID she was talking about. So I have no other option than to really check up how he works. I was totally devastated when my beloved husband left me. It was like my entire world vanishing into sorrow and pain. I know it sounds weird but out of all the spell casters I contacted, he was the only one to give me that impression of being so true and trustful. More than his words, He brought my husband back and he made all my wishes come true. He is now loyal, pays attention to me, he offers me flowers every Sunday, and we often go out at the cinema and the restaurant. My husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. My family are living together happily again.. I will be forever thankful for turning my life from hell to heaven! I believe those who need help should get to him for help. May God continue to use you to save broken relationships. To every one with marital problems, divorce issues, lost lovers or any relationship related issues, you can contact DR DAVID and wonder about the ultimate spell caster. Contact him on his Email Address @ awesomespelltemple@gmail.com   His Website:: http://awesomespelltemplem.website2.me his WhatsApp +2347040654140 https://www.facebook.com/UrgentEffectiveLoveSpell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going through pains in your matrimonial home and want a lasting solution Dr Ajayi is the right man for the job, I was going through hell in my marriage when i came across various testimonies of how he has help saved many women from getting divorce by their husband and also blessed many women with the fruit of the womb, this period my husband wants a divorce after been with him for 17 years, I explained my situation to Dr Ajayi and a love spell was made, my husband tore the divorce paper and we have been living in peace and love. Don't be shy to seek for help, contact Dr Ajayi and save your marriage or broken relationship. Whatsapp / Viber : +2347084887094

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Dr kuta my husband is back home and I'm very happy to let the world know that Dr kuta is a real and genuine spiritual man. My husband left home after our divorce and we stayed apart for 2 years but I still love him so I employed Dr kuta to perform a love for us to be back and within a week of the spell I started to see changes, for the first time in two years my husband called me and asked for reconciliation and ever since then we have been living happily together. Contact Dr kuta on Viber Or WhatsApp: +2349015655413 or you email him: drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com I believe he will put back smile on your face

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to tell the world the secret of wealth, you can become what you want to become in life, is just to do the right things and meet the right people who can help you to achieve your dreams in life, in any situation you are do not give up, because we are born to achieve our dreams in the earth, because we all will still leave the earth so we need to enjoy and be happy all time, i want you to know that the illuminati is to help you in any area you need help in life, joining the illuminati will bring you change of level in your life and good news, If you are poor or you have a family problems, or you want to be rich and famous in life you have to join the illuminati, so that you can be free in life and achieve all your dreams, joining the illuminati you will not share any human blood, because illuminati is an organization to help people how are in need of help, it is an organization that brings joy and happiness to once life, when you are totaly initiated to the illuminati you will be given instant cash of $2,000,000.00 to settle all your outstanding, you have to know that it is free to join the illuminati because the illuminati is to help not to take money from who need help, if you are interested to join the illuminati and become successful in life you have to contact the illuminati official email: initiationchurchofpower@gmail.com or call/text +16012273799 or WhatsApp +13019692020 on how to join the great illuminati, it is free to join the illuminati organization

    ReplyDelete